What is Visual Merchandising?
Let's take it back to basics ... What IS Visual Merchandising? and more importantly why should you be interested?
I'll start by discussing what Visual Merchandising isn't. Successful Visual Merchandising is not:
- Making things look pretty
- Throwing things together to fill a space
- Grabbing some random props and making a display
- A bit of fun that anyone with a slightly creative eye can do
Now that may sound negative but the fact is that Visual Merchandising is a heavily under-estimated science! Yep I said it. A Science. Believe it or not I actually have a degree in Retail Branding and Visual Merchandising from University of the Arts London. It is a real thing and a very VERY important aspect for all retailers.
So here's a definition of what Visual Merchandising is:
"Visual merchandising is the practice in the retail industry of developing floor plans and three-dimensional displays in order to maximize sales. ... The purpose of such visual merchandising is to attract, engage, and motivate the customer towards making a purchase."
A successful VM visits exhibitions, trade shows and industry leading stores. They research trends, scour Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration and new places to visit. They stop at every shop window to examine the technicalities of how the display was created. They're equally as comfortable with a clothes pin, a paintbrush and a drill. They create displays that make customers say "WOW" and most importantly they get customers to open the door and to walk to the till.
As a Visual Merchandising business we provide a number of invaluable services to our clients which include:
- Window displays: Full concept or vinyls only
- One-off assistance: Permanent displays, store audits and VM training/workshops
- In-store layouts: Fixture layouts and hot spots, Permanent store design
- Press days: Concept design, props/furniture and styling
Plus shoot styling, Christmas dressing and prop making. Whether you are in the process of opening a new store or need some advice on your current VM strategy we can help you. Give us a call on 07722 634 112 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org